Once you’ve finished your spirit runs and diluted your spirit, we recommend filtering utilising the Air Still Carbon Filter System (or other carbon filtration):
- Rinse the carbon cartridge under running water for 20 seconds before use. This removes any excess mineral salts.
- Fit the carbon cartridge to the top Filter Holder taking care to ensure the foam washers are fitted between the filter and both ends of the cartridge.
- Place the top Filter Holder into the top of the larger filter container.
- Ensure you have diluted your spirit as dilution is necessary for the filter to operate properly.
- One reflux mode run on the Air Still Pro will yield approximately 500 ml (17 US fl oz) of distillate. Check the ABV of your spirit with an alcometer and measuring cylinder. It should be approximately 90% ABV (180 proof). Dilute to 40% ABV (80 proof) by adding approximately 600 ml of water. Note: use this calculator to get the precise volume of water to add.
- Fit the top Filter Holder with the Filter Container and add the distilled spirit and allow it to drip into the Filter Container.
NOTE: We recommend changing the carbon cartridge after filtration for best results. Replace polyethylene washers when they are flattened and no longer recover their previous shape and thickness.
If you're flavouring your spirit proceed to Instructions for Flavouring & Ageing your Spirit.