There are a few ways in which the T500 could be 'leaking'.
Water leaking from the bottom thermometer probe:
It is likely that there is water leaking from the bottom thermometer probe, because there is a water flow issue.
- Check that the unit is plumbed correctly/check the entire setup has been done correctly according to instructions
- Check for obstruction in outlet block and turn water down
- Check that the temperature probe is not pushed too far in as this can cause a slight blockage forcing the water out and causing a leak. The temperature probe just needs to rest in the hole and this will allow the water to flow through.
Water flow should be not much more than 700ml (3.5 US fl oz) per minute, otherwise the still will not function properly. If you have further problems contact Still Spirits or your retailer of purchase.
If water is leaking from in between the outlet block and the column, contact Still Spirits or your retailer of purchase.
Alcohol leaking from the top of the column:
The unit is overheating and the reflux process is not working efficiently. This releases excess vapour through the top of the column which is condensing back to alcohol.
- Check unit is plumbed correctly
- Check thermometers are in correct order
- Ensure water flow setup is organised with controller next to still
- Increase water flow, unit is too hot
- Clean and repack ceramic saddles
- Replace saddles if needed
Alcohol evaporating from the top column
The top of the column is not sealed. The reason being, is to reduce pressure build up so, it is normal for water to leak through the black cap during cleaning.
However, steam should not be leaking from the top column. This may be due to:
- Saddles blocking the alcohol steam path and building some pressure. Remove all your saddles from the column and repack them, ceramic first (if you have them) followed by stainless steel saddles.
- There might be a blockage at the end of your alcohol outlet tubing. Remove the plug at the end of your alcohol tubing
If this doesn't solve the issue, contact Still Spirits or your retailer of purchase.